Monday, June 14, 2010

Revamping An Old Piece Of Furniture


Here's the starting point, a simple little piece of furniture that can fit into a corner, bought from a thrift shop.

It's so ugly and dirty that nobody would give it a second glance.

What's more, it's made of cheap old plywood. But it was so cheap that I decided to buy it.
Here's how it looked when I first got it.









I wash and sandpaper it. I take off the yellow foam and fill in all the flaws and screw holes with wood filler.












I glue a sheet of thick paper en relief on top.
I spray the feet with silver paint and paint the rest in a light cappuccino shade.






Last of all, using decopatch/paperpatch adhesive, I glue a type of glazed paper used by florists to the door.

When it's fully dry, I apply a layer of glossy glue/varnish.
The next day, I apply a coat of marine varnish over the entire item in order to give it maximum protection against any kinds of stains or splashes. Then I swap the plastic handles for more modern, aluminum ones.

Here's the result.




No comments:

Post a Comment